What do you do when you’re in the mood for Chinese food but you don’t want to order out? You make your own!
This recipe is now another favorite I’m adding to my rotation now! It was easy and dude, you can use left over rice! With my 5 month old babbling in the background, I was able to make this meal in about 15 minutes.
Another thing I love about this meal is that seafood cooks quickly and is packed full of protein. I decided to use shrimp only. The recipe calls for scallops too, but I didn’t feel like adding on that expense this week.
Another item I used instead of what the recipe calls for is a veggie blend that also included corn and green beans. It was delicious!
One of the things I love about cooking is figuring out how to make something with the things I already have at home! “Close enough” is a common phrase I often use in the kitchen. “The recipe calls for peas and carrots only. I have a veggie medley with peas, carrots, corn and green beans. Close enough!” 🙌🏻
Another skinnytaste recipe from Gina’s One and Done cookbook. If you have not already noticed, I’m hooked to all her simple and healthy recipes. Her new cookbook is also set up the way I love cookbooks to be — with pictures of every recipe!!!
Hope you enjoy this one! Let me know what you think!
Serving size: 4
Time to prepare: 15 minutes
Time to cook: 15 minutes
- 3 cups brown rice cooked
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined (peeled weight is .75 lb)
- 2 whole egg, scrambled
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 5 medium scallions, chopped, whites and greens separated
- Peas and carrots, thawed
- oil spray
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 3 1/2 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce (or more to taste)
- salt and fresh pepper
- Scramble eggs with a drop of water and season with salt and pepper.
- In a hot wok, spray a little oil and cook the eggs.
- When cooked, remove from pan and set aside.
- Let the wok get really hot.
- Add sesame oil and canola oil and then saute onions, scallion whites, and garlic for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add shrimp and saute until no longer translucent.
- Add rice, peas and carrots. Flatten and spread out over wok and let cook for 3 minutes. Then mix again and let it cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add soy sauce, mixing well for about 2 minutes.
- Add greens of the scallions and cooked egg. Mix and serve.